December 9, 2021
Getting Your Hazmat and Tanker

If you are an OTR Truck Driver looking to increase your revenue potential and stand out from the crowd, you should consider getting an X endorsement on your CDL. This combination endorsement covers hazmat and tanker loads which can make you not just a more desirable driver but increase the amount of loads you can pull which translates into more miles and more cash in your pocket.




  • Must be at least 21 years old
  • Possess a valid Commercial Drivers License.
  • Proof of US Citizenship identity: US Passport, birth certificate, etc.


Depending on where you live the steps to get your Haz Mat / Tanker can be different from state to state. In most states you can go online, and set up an appointment to go in and get your background check and fingerprinting done. Once your background check comes back you then go to the DMV to take the written test. In some states you must start the process at the DMV, please go on-line to check first!

Step 1: Apply online

Most drivers will tell you to get your background check done first. It often takes the longest to complete, sometimes 2 weeks or longer depending on where you live. You MUST get your background check done in the state you hold your CDL. If you live in Florida, Kentucky, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia or Wisconsin you will have to visit your local DMV to get the information for the application and fingerprinting.


For all other states the TSA application is available online. This should take about 10 minutes to fill out and you must have a credit card available to pay for the application. You can check the status of your background check anytime here.


*See the Transportation Security Administration’s list of disqualifying offenses


Step 2: Submitting Fingerprints 

Once you have applied and paid for the background check you can now make your way to a TSA application center. Pro tip: Make an appointment! Not all states require an appointment to be made before going, but we still recommend it. When you make an appointment online, you can easily type in your location to view the nearest fingerprinting locations. It will also save you more time, since appointments are given priority over walk-ins. Double check the DMV you are visiting is a “hazmat” driver license office. 


You can also call (855) 347-8371 Monday thru Friday from 8:00am to 10:00pm ET to make an appointment and to find the nearest fingerprinting locations. 


When you go to the application center do not forget the following:

  •     TWO forms of identification: Passport, Drivers license and birth certificate are on the list of acceptable forms of ID.
  •     FEMALE DRIVERS – If you have been married you MUST bring your marriage license, if you have been divorced you must bring your divorce papers if you changed your name afterwards. The documents you bring must all have the same name to be acceptable.



Step 3: Written Test

Once your fingerprinting and background check has cleared you will go to your local DMV to take your written test for hazardous materials and tanker endorsements. Every state has a different requirement on the percentage that is considered passing and we highly recommend you go on-line to confirm what is required for a passing grade in your state. Your state CDL manual is always a good source for studying up. There are also many resources available on-line for both studying and practice tests.


The bottom line

Your total time spent from start to finish getting your X endorsement will probably take 1 – 3 hours for the online application, getting fingerprinting done and taking the test. What takes the longest is usually getting the background check results returned. What’s in it for you?

Here at Dynamic Transit Company not only do we reimburse you for the fingerprinting and testing, but you will also get a pay increase of roughly 20% just for holding the license. Instead of starting at 0.50/mile it would be 0.60/mile and when you run a placarded load you get another .05/mile added on top of that! At Dynamic Transit that is the potential for an extra 13 -15k a year. What’s not to love? 

Dynamic Transit Company is primarily a refrigerated carrier operating out of the midwest to the west coast. What kind of Hazmat loads are we typically hauling? Most commonly food grade hazmat like soda or building supplies like paint. We are 100% no-touch freight with about 50% drop and hook. If you are looking for more information on joining our team visit


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *